Wednesday, April 30, 2008
FreeCommander is a powerful file manager, with it you can quickly copy, move and erase files using a dual panel view. You can also synchronize folders, compare directories, split files, compress and decompress archives, launch a command prompt, use the powerful search feature that lets you search inside text files and much more!. Seriously when i first learned of this program i was in awe because of the various stuff it can do, plus it is very easy to use and it doesn`t take that much memory , it used 27Mb in my system which is ok for the amount of stuff it can do.
Freecommander is a great file manager with a bunch of features and easy handling, if you are looking for a file manager this is certainly a good choice. Available for Windows 2000/Xp/Vista.
* The interface of FreeCommander is user-friendly and adaptable
* Two panels that are arranged next to each other or among each other
* For each panel you can fade in a tree-view
* Drives selection as combo box or bar
* FreeCommander has an integrated DOS command prompt
* Most of the functions can be started easily by Shortcuts
* File names and paths can be copied into the Clipboard
* Drag & Drop support for the file operations
* Windows or Norton Commander selection mode
* The program can be adjusted to its user by various options
* Different views for file lists: list, details, small symbols, big symbols, picture preview
* Display of file symbols fixed, registered, extracted is definable
* File and directory information are shown in the status line
* File information can be shown as information tip
* The displayed files can be sorted by name, size, type, file time and attributes
* Several layouts can be saved
* Tabbed interface can be used
* Access to the most important system directories
* Quick access to the Start menu as well as to elements of the desktop and control panel
* A quick change into a directory or archive is possible because of directory favorites
* Additional programs can be included as favorites
* Type and colours can be changed
* The intern file viewer enables a quick view of the files in the formats such as text, hexadecimal, binary and as picture
* File and directory operations are supported: copy, move, delete, rename
* Wipe file operation is supported
* Create and verify MD5 checksums
* Extra functions to change text case of file names
* Large files can be divided into smaller parts
* Context menu and properties of files and directories are displayed
* Size of directories can be determined
* Directories can be compared and synchronised
* File time and file attributes can be changed
* Time shift of several files is possible
* Directory list can be made
* Supported archive formats: ZIP and CAB read and write, RAR read
* Files can be compressed
* Archives can be unpacked
* Creation of self-extracting files is possible ZIP
* The intern file viewer also works in archive files
* Files can be also searched in directories and drives
* Search for file contents text is possible
* Search in archives ZIP, CAB, RAR is possible
* Display search matches
* Quick view of the files out of the matches list is possible
* Desktop pictures are easy to make
* Connect/disconnect network drive
Get it at http://www.freecommander.com
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
Asterisk key is a password recovery utility, with it you can recover passwords hidden in asterisks, just click recover and asterisk key will scan for passwords in dialog boxes and web pages. It doesn`t work on all program tough, for example it doesn`t work in firefox and other browsers which limits its usefulness however it works perfectly in IE and in other Microsoft programs like outlook.
Asterisk key is good in recovering passwords hidden in asterisks, a useful utility. Available to all windows versions.
* Uncovers hidden passwords on password dialog boxes and web pages
* State of the art password recovery engine - all passwords are recovered instantly
* Multilingual passwords are supported
* Full install/uninstall support
Get it at: http://www.lostpassword.com/asterisk.htm
Monday, April 28, 2008
Teen Spirit is a music player with several features, with it you can tag and organize your files and all the standard stuff you have come to expect from these kinds of programs however teen spirit gets interesting when you take a look at the special features. TS can automatically look for information about an artist or song, you can even search for lyrics and display them into the media player while the song plays, in addition you can take a quiz involving recognizing a song from your media library in the shortest time possible.
so you might be thinking now that you don`t see much incentive in ditching your current media player for TS and you may be right...for now i guess, truthfully i didn`t like it that much because while it uses little memory it can`t compete with my favorite AIMP2 in that regard and it felt sluggish while i was using it in some parts, but TS is a work in progress that doesn`t even has 1.0 release and therefore it may improve in the future but right now i can`t really recommend it, not with the performance i had on my PC so once again i urge to try it for yourself and see if you come up with the same thoughts i had about TS.
So in conclusion while teen spirit looks great in paper the execution comes up short, at least for now. Available for windows XP/Vista.
* Player Audio, video, crossfading ...
* Tagger id3v2.4, mpc, wma ...
* Categorization Artists/Albums, Year/Albums ...
* Information downloading Covers, Lyrics ...
* Information URL Providers.
* History Logging
* Info Display
* Advanced Searching
* Multi language User Interface
Get it at: http://teenspirit.artificialspirit.com/
Friday, April 25, 2008
Phantom CD is a small utility for loading images of CD/DVDs on a virtual drive, after installing just right click on the new virtual drive and select mount to load an image file or use the pictured menu to mount, mount the last image and eject an image. Unfortunately phantom CD can only load ISO and BIN images making it a very limited program considering the amount of formats an image file can be saved in, however it is very easy to use and hopefully one day it can add more file formats to its repertoire.
Phantom CD offers a very simple and easy way of loading CD/DVD images but is somewhat limited because it can only load two types of files, i am not sure if i would recommend it so try it for yourself and check if it fits your needs. Available for Windows XP/Vista.
Get it at: http://www.phantombility.com/en/prod/phantomcd/overview/
Thursday, April 24, 2008
Sign lingo is a very simple utility that shows you how to make a letter in the sign language, just type a letter and it will automatically show you how to make it with your hands.
Yes i realize this is a utility that probably none of you will use but i found it interesting, this particular program was found on a website of some guy who writes open source software, he is shutting down is site because no one donates him money, on one part i feel sad for him on the other i found his decision to shutdown his site stupid. You can`t write software and expect to roll in cash because most people don`t care about donating at all, unless your software is really good and unique no one will give a rat ass the effort you place in writing the software you create, you have to code programs for you i guess. most of the stuff on his site was pretty useless anyway because someone already beat him to the punch so i guess is not a big loss.
Sorry for this long rant that has nothing to do with the object of this blog but since the GTA 4 gameplay videos went online i have been hooked on them and i have been having trouble finding good freeware material to post.
Get it at http://gravityfx.org/2005/08/27/sign-lingo/
Mirror (In the likely case his site disappears) :
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
ExtractNow is another small utility that can extract several archives quickly, it supports the most commonly used compression formats like ZIP,RAR,7Z,ISO,Etc. Just drag and drop them into extractnow or use the search function and press extract, is so easy!.
ExtractNow has a simple and clean interface, has various configuration option and works well , a very useful extraction utility. Available for Windows 2000/XP.
*Supports ZIP, RAR, ISO, BIN, IMG, IMA, IMZ, 7Z, ACE, JAR, GZ, LZH, LHA, TAR, SIT archive formats
*Drag and drop files or folders from Windows Explorer to extract them
*Simple user interface and sleek design in a small package
*Recursively search through folders for archives Just drag and drop them
*Delete files or close program after extraction options
*Windows explorer file associations for all supported archive types
*Extract files into current directory, named folder, or favorite folder of choice
*System tray icon on Minimize and Always on top features
*Integrates with Windows Explorer via special context menu items
Get it at http://www.extractnow.com/
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
So sometimes you can`t access a website because is down but you wonder if its down just for you or for everyone else, don`t worry just go to www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com and type in a website to see its status. I like it because is so simple to use and can come in handy sometimes. Give it a try!.
Get it at http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/
Monday, April 21, 2008
CmosPwd can crack, backup and restore BIOS passwords, you can even kill/clear the Cmos if cmospwd can`t crack the bios. There are several ways of using Cmospwd but the one i found the most simple and straightforward was to simply create a DOS boot disk and run it from there since if you want to run cmospwd from windows you have to install a potentially dangerous driver.
Here`s a small tutorial:
1.- right click on the portable device that you want to use as a DOS boot disk, it can be a usb flash drive or a floppy disk but i had to use a floppy disk since my BIOS wasn`t configured to boot from an USB device.
2.- select the format option , then from the window that appears check the "Create an MS-DOS startup disk" and click start.
3.- Download the cmospwd zip and extract it, then enter the new created folder and look for another folder called DOS, copy this folder to your newly created MS-DOS startup disk (I copied the whole cmospwd-5.0 folder but this should work too).
4.- Reboot your computer and pay extra attention as to what kind of BIOS you have, look for the BIOS word and the word right beside it, write the BIOS name and write it down since you will be needing that later.
5.- The DOS interface should start automatically from MS-Dos disk you have created.
6.- A prompt should appear , now simply type CD DOS and the prompt should change into something like A:\DOS: , then type cmospwd and the program should start.
7.- CmosPwd will show a long list of names, these are the different types of BIOS it can handle, locate your BIOS name on the list and write down the symbols that appear on the right side.
8.- Now once you are at the prompt again type cmospwd then / and finally the symbols that belonged to the name of your BIOS.
9.- Finally it will show the commands that it can do like backup,restore, Etc. however if you don`t wanna do all those things or find them too complicated just type cmospwd / K this will attempt to clear the BIOS erasing the password, however keep in mind that this will also erase all of the BIOS settings that are critical to the functioning of your computer so you will probably want to enter the BIOS and load the optimal values so that you can keep using your PC.
CmosPwd is a great program that just helped me in getting rid of my nagging BIOS password that i had been trying to bypass for years, i definitely recommend it. Available for Windows DOS/98/NT/W2K/XP/2003 and linux.
Works with the following BIOSes
- ACER/IBM BIOS
- AMI BIOS
- AMI WinBIOS 2.5
- Award 4.5x/4.6x/6.0
- Compaq (1992)
- Compaq (New version)
- IBM (PS/2, Activa, Thinkpad)
- Packard Bell
- Phoenix 1.00.09.AC0 (1994), a486 1.03, 1.04, 1.10 A03, 4.05 rev 1.02.943, 4.06 rev 1.13.1107
- Phoenix 4 release 6 (User)
- Gateway Solo - Phoenix 4.0 release 6
- Zenith AMI
Get it at http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/CmosPwd
Friday, April 18, 2008
ClipDiary is a clipboard utility that saves the items that you copy to the clipboard and lets you use them very quickly, for example when copying text using CTRL+C the previously copied text will disappear and you can`t use it again however with clipdiary every single item that you copy will be stored for future use, even pictures!. All of the stored items are saved in a local database instead of the memory , this means that if your PC reboots unexpectedly all of the items copied in the clipboard will be intact and ready to be used again.
ClipDiary is a useful utility if you are constantly copying and pasting stuff. Available for windows 2000/2003/XP.
Get it at http://clipdiary.com/
Thursday, April 17, 2008
Send To Notepad is a small utility that will paste copied text directly into the windows notepad, just select a text and copy it with CTRL+C and then double click the notepad icon located in the system tray, the windows notepad will open with the selected text on it. You cannot select another word editor or copy the +, ^, ~, (, ) and % signs, this is a small problem in my opinion.
However send to notepad remains a quick and simple way to strip text from whatever format it may have, i will certainly use it from now on because until now i had to create a new notepad file and copy the text there every time i wanted to put the features of other free programs in my posts, Not anymore thanks to send to notepad!. Available to all versions of Windows.
Get it at http://www.onlyutkarsh.com/tools.html
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Portable apps is an open source application launcher for any portable device like USB drives, Ipod, portable disk,Etc. You can download a standard suite that contains a bunch of predetermined applications or you can only download the launcher itself and install your preferred applications, A whole bunch of programs are available in the portable apps website with the file extension of .paf.exe which adds a neat logo when you launch that program however you can install any other program by creating a folder and put the program`s executable there.
Portable apps is a great way of keeping your favorites application in your pendrive so that you can use them in any computer. Available for Windows 98/2000/XP/Vista.
Get it at http://portableapps.com/
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
SysTrayMeter is a lightweight utility that sits on the system tray and shows the usage of both the CPU and the RAM. It uses very little memory on my system, 1MB at the most making it one of the less hungry apps i have ever posted. The way it shows the information is very simple, you will see two bars one smaller than the other one, the small bar is for the CPU usage and the bigger bar will show the RAM currently available , to quit the aplication you must double click the systraymeter icon. However you can modify how the program behaves and looks by simply creating a file called SysTrayMeter.ini where the systraymeter.exe is located, you can place the smaller bar in the bottom or change the colors used for example among other things.
SysTrayMeter is a great way of checking out your resources by simply looking at your system tray. Available for Windows XP.
Get it at http://188.8.131.52/computers_are_fun/systraymeter/
Monday, April 14, 2008
ATunes is a open source cross platform audio player, it has an Itunes like interface in which you can play and organize your music. When i tried Atunes for the first time it remind me a lot of amarok which is an exclusive linux audio player, as i learned more about the features this impression only growed even further by the fact that you can do pretty much all of the cool stuff that amarok has like last.fm support, artist search tools in sites like wikipedia and such, lyrics display and much more. Basically Atunes copies amarok and tries to improve it by being cross platform because it is written in java but i think that is a problem because not all people have installed java in their PC and might be turned off by having to install a separate program to just i know i was....
Anyway another thing that turned me off Atunes is that its just takes so much memory in my system, i dunno if its something on my end but it takes like 50MB while focused and like 20-25MB when minimized and that is not something i can take considering i only have 256MB of RAM, every MB matters to me plus Atunes just feel slow and sluggish when i used it.
So in conclusion i can`t recommend this because the performance so was bad on my system but on the other hand someone else with a more powerful system may have a more positive experience so therefore i am letting you decide, yes you the one who read all of this text to make up your own mind, so try it and judge for yourself if Atunes is worth it. Available for windows and linux.
* Supported formats: mp3, ogg, wma, wav, flac, mp4, ra, rm
* Online radio supported.
* Player engine: mplayer.
* Volume control, mute function.
* Karaoke function.
* Shuffle and repeat options.
* OSD (On-screen display).
* Reads mp3, ogg, flac, wma, mp4, ra, rm tags.
* Writes mp3, ogg, flac, wma (limited), mp4 tags.
* Reads and shows pictures included in ID3v2 tags.
* Tag editor window.
* Auto tag edition tools: set track number, genre, lyrics and so on automatically.
* Some auto tag tools for all repository.
* Allows users to view music categorized by artist, album or genre in a hierarchy tree, or by folders.
* Fast access to songs and albums.
* Filter option to find easily artists, albums or genres.
* Cover Navigator
* Support for huge playlist, with thousand of songs.
* Support for multiple playlists at the same time.
* Shows multiple columns: title, artist, album, genre, length, track number…
* Can be sorted by any of the columns.
* Columns can be hidden for simplicity.
* Support for open or save m3u playlists.
* Full Drag-and-Drop support. Songs can be dragged from the navigator or from the OS file system.
* Can be filtered.
* Connect your portable player or anything that could be mounted as a file system, and view in aTunes, copy to repository, synchronize, etc.
* Songs, albums or artists can be selected as favorites.
* Favorite elements are shown in the “Favorites” tab in Navigator.
* Artist search tool in different web pages: YouTube, Google Video , Wikipedia, etc.
* AudioScrobbler information: when a song is being played, album information, artist albums and similar artists are shown.
* Last.fm profile update: songs played are submitted to your Last.fm profile
* Lyrics information: when a song is being played, automatically aTunes shows lyric.
* Subscribe to your favorite podcasts and listen in aTunes.
* aTunes includes a cd ripper tool, using cdda2wav, lame, flac and oggenc. Just put an audio cd on your computer, and select “Import CD” in the “Tools” menu. You can select which tracks rip, and get track names and cover automatically from Amazon.
* Songs played, songs never played.
* Songs most played.
* Album most played.
* Artist most played.
* Last date of play.
* Standard view with all controls and features.
* Multi window view. Every window element (navigator, playlist, context information) is shown as a separate window. Every window can be located and / or arranged as you want.
* System tray icon to control player.
* Themes support: you can change aTunes colors by changing theme.
* Full Screen Mode.
Get it at http://www.atunes.org/
Friday, April 11, 2008
FileZilla is both a FTP client and a FTP server, it supports most transfers protocols that you can use to upload/download files using a dual panel explorer type view. In addition it has some special features like the ability to resume uploads/downloads, firewall support, timeout detection, site manager with folders and much more.
Filezilla is a great program that is easy to use and has the added value of being open source. Available for Windows ,Linux and Mac OSX.
* Easy to use
* Supports FTP, FTP over SSL/TLS (FTPS) and SSH File Transfer Protocol (SFTP)
* Cross-platform. Runs on Windows, Linux, *BSD, OSX and more
* Available in many languages
* Supports resume and transfer of large files >4GB
* Powerful Site Manager and transfer queue
* Drag & drop support
* Configurable Speed limits
* Filename filters
* Network configuration wizard
Get it at http://filezilla-project.org/
Thursday, April 10, 2008
Core Temp is a small program that shows the current temperatures of your CPU and other useful info like the name, frequency, revision,Etc , it will even show the temperatures of individuals cores if you have such type of processor. Unfortunately (for me at least) it doesn`t support the intel CPUs Pentium 4/D architecture making me unable to test this program myself but since there is a large quantity of websites praising it i decided to post it anyway, i am sure someone will find it useful.
Core temp is a a good way of monitoring your CPU that doesn`t require installation. Available for Windows 2000/XP/Vista.
All Phenom series.
All Athlon64 series.
All Athlon64 X2 series.
All Athlon64 FX series.
All Turion64 series.
All Turion64 X2 series.
All Sempron series. (K8 based)
Single Core Opterons starting with SH-C0 revision and up. (K8 based)
All Dual Core Opteron series. (K8 based)
All Quad Core Opteron series. (K10 based)
All Core Solo series.
All Core Duo series.
All Core 2 Duo series.
All Core 2 Quad series.
All Core 2 Extreme series.
All Celeron-M 400 and 500 series.
All Celeron E1000 series. (Initial support)
All Pentium E2000 and E2100 series.
All Dual Core Low Voltage Xeons series (Yonah based. Untested).
All Xeon 3000, 3200, 5100, 5300, 5400 series.
Get it at http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
AMP Winoff is a shutdown utility, with it you can automatically shutdown, restart, log off, suspend , hibernate and lockup your system. You can set an action for either a specific hour or when the CPU load reaches a certain level, before shutdown you can run a program or take a screenshot, you can even use the command line for advanced shutdown options like batch processes.
AMP WinOFF is a great program that doesn`t require installation and is easy to use and does what it advertises well. Available for Windows 98/2000/XP.
* Shut down the computer at certain hour (e.g. at 12:00).
* Shut down the computer in several minutes (e.g. in 15 minutes).
* Shut down the computer when the CPU becomes idle.
* Several types of shut down (shut down, restart, log off, power off, suspend, hibernate and lock computer).
* Option for hang up the modem instead of doing a shut down.
* Option for set a password to protect the access to the configuration.
* Complete command line support for batch process.
* Option for capture the desktop and/or execute a program before the shut down.
* Option for run the program when starting Windows session, for daily programmed shut down.
* Immediate shut down and computer lock from the traybar icon menu.
* Option for show an alert window, which allow the cancellation of the shut down.
* Works with Windows 9x/Me/NT/2000/XP.
* Dual English/Spanish version.
Get it at http://www.ampsoft.net/utilities/WinOFF.php
Tuesday, April 8, 2008
Process explorer is an application that can give very detailed information about the windows processes currently running in your system. It is very useful for computer technicians or other advanced users since it can show what DLLs or handles a process is using , you can even search for what handles and DLLs a process has loaded.
Process explorer is a powerful utility that doesn`t require installation. Available for windows 98/2000/2003/XP/Vista.
Get it at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
Monday, April 7, 2008
Wavosaur is a lightweight audio editor, with it you can edit wav, aiff, iff, mp3 and raw binary files. You can do basic stuff like cut, copy, paste, mix, trim, normalize, fade in/out Etc. or do more advanced editing like resampling , bit-depth converting, vocal removing, silence removing and much more.
Wavosaur has a simple and clean interface, it doesn`t require installation so you can carry it with you all the time and its just a great alternative to all those paid audio editors out there, i reccomend it. Available for Windows 98/XPVista.
-Multiple Document Interface for working with many files in one session
-All classic editing functions : cut, copy, paste, paste mix, paste replace/insert, paste to new file, trim/crop, delete, undo.
-Many processing options: mute, channel convert (stereo->mono, mono->stereo), insert silence, change volume, normalize level, fade in/out, invert/flip, undo.
-Accurate waveform representation, fast zoom in/out, clean easy to use interface Right mouse to scroll/display context menu.
-Skinable editor look.
-Resample, bit-depth convert (8,16,24,32 bits), pitch shift, vocal removal, DC offset removing, auto-trim, silence remover, interpolate, auto detect region, crossfade loop, exporting multiple wav file from regions.
-Wavosaur can import, save and edit loop points & markers informations in wav files. Snap to zero-crossing.
-Batch processing : apply process/effect/VST effects to an entire folder.
-Export files as text for using in software such as Matlab, Excel or PSpice.
Get it at http://www.wavosaur.com/
Sunday, April 6, 2008
Divshare is a one-click storage site. It`s very easy to use and it only requires your browser. You can uploads files up to 200MB that are never erased, plus uploaded media can be easily embedded in websites, blogs, Etc. Divshare is a website that i have been using for awhile now and it has never given me problems, sure you might run into ads here and there but what else can you expect with a free service like this, unfortunately it seems you can only download files with a maximum speed of 300KB which has never been a problem for me since that kind of speeds are reserved for the very rich in my country, i dunno about my international readers but i have a feeling that this will not be a problem for most of you.
Divshare is a great online storage solution give it a chance and you might end up loving it.
-Upload files up to 200MB
-Uploaded files are never erased
-Video files will be converted to flash videos
-Stream uploaded mp3 files
-Create flash slideshows from pictures
Get it at http://www.divshare.com/
Friday, April 4, 2008
Convert is a lightweight utility that can convert pretty much every unit out there. With it you can convert units of distance, temperature, volume, time, speed, mass, power, density, pressure, energy and many others! and if this isn`t enough you can even create your own custom conversions.
Convert is fast and simple, it doesn`t require installation so you can carry it with you always. Oh and if you like this program be sure to donate some money to the beer and pizza fund of the author, he deserves it. Available for all versions of windows.
Get it at http://joshmadison.com/software/convert/
Thursday, April 3, 2008
Universal extractor is a little utility that can easily extract files from most compression formats. This program is not a replacer for everyday day compression tasks but rather a simple tool for the easy extraction of files, it uses a simple and fast interface that simplifies extraction. In addition to all this Universal extractor doesn`t require installation and has a wide variety of multi language support.
Universal extractor can only extract data but it does so with high efficiency so if you have a compressed file that you just can`t extract give it a try. Available for all versions of windows.
Get it at http://legroom.net/software/uniextract
Wednesday, April 2, 2008
Well my fifth poll is now closed and the results are in. In response to the question "Have you heard of something called Kino's Journey?" 4 people said no and only person said yes. This disturbs me greatly, how can one of the greatest anime (yeah i went there) be overlooked by so many people?, of course 5 people responding to my poll doesn`t equal the whole world but lets pretend it does.
For the uneducated Kino`s journey or Kino no tabi in japanese is a series of books that were adapted into an anime series in 2003, in it a mysterious traveler named kino and the talking motorcycle hermes visit several countries for only 3 days, all the countries they visit are different and they deal with several psychological and philosophical issues. It kinda hard to explain what appeals me to the series but i can tell you if you are thinking person this show will grab you and will not let go. Of course this show is not everybody but i plead to everyone to give it it a chance, at least watch the first episode that i am sure is somewhere on the internets *cough* google *cough*.
And with that i am finished pimping something that is dear to my heart, i promise to not to do it too often, maybe.
Buy the first book here: http://www.amazon.com/Kino-Tabi-BEAUTIFUL-WORLD-Fiction/dp/1598164554
More info about the show here:
A review of the first dvd volume by a better writer than me here:
Tuesday, April 1, 2008
Startup delayer is an utility that can delay the programs that start with windows. We all have probably a bunch of programs configured to run at window`s startup but the problem is that if you have many programs trying to start at the same time your PC will get really slow, Startup delayer can fix that. It will list all of the current programs that start when you first enter windows, then you can set a delay for each and every one of them so that your PC doesn`t get crammed up.
Startup delayer is a great utility that will keep your PC running smoothly at startup. Available for Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista.
Get it at http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&show=startdelay