Akelpad is an open source editor for plain text. It is designed to be a small and fast.
- Single window mode (SDI), multi window mode (MDI);
- Editing of files, which size is more than 64K (generally speaking, size isn't theoretically limited);
- Full support of Unicode strings on Unicode systems (NT/2000/XP/2003);
- Support of Unicode codepages (UTF-16 little endian, UTF-16 big endian, UTF-8);
- Support of any codepage installed in the system;
- Support of DOS/Windows, Unix and Mac newline formats;
- Preview file open;
- Correct pseudographics displaying;
- Column text selection;
- Multi-level undo;
- Fast search/replace text strings;
- Remember file codepage and caret position;
- Printing of a document;
- Support of language modules;
- Plugins support (syntax highlighting, auto-completion, scripts execution, keyboard macros and much more).
Akelpad is a small Notepad replacement that is fully portable. The program features a tabbed interface, previews before opening a file, Unicode support, opening of files with unlimited size and a lot of the usual stuff that you have come to expect in a text editor. However Akelpad can be greatly expanded with the use of plugins allowing you to have such nice things like an explorer panel and syntax highlighting (handy for coders) among many other things.
In conclusion Akelpad is a neat Notepad replacement that has enough functions of it's own to make it worthwhile and the fact that it can be expanded with plugins is just icing on the cake, it's definitely worth a look. Available for all Windows versions.
Get it at http://akelpad.sourceforge.net/en/index.php